Thanksgiving in Kauai 2013
Tasting Kauai wishes you a happy Thanksgiving! Enjoy these holiday menus and be sure to make reservations!
Three course prix fixe, $44
- Roasted Hamakua Alii Mushroom Bisque and Lemon Goat Cheese Mousse
- Poipu Roast Turkey, Turkey Demi-Glace, Mashed Potatoes, Kulana Wild Boar and Cornbread Stuffing, Haricot Verts Almondine, Cranberry Poha Relish
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding, Tropical Fruit Crunch, Lappert’s Dulce De Leche Ice Cream
Takeout orders available with a 24-hour notice and need to be picked up at the restaurant between 4 and 5 p.m.
Josselin’s Tapas Bar & Grill
Three course prix fixe, $40
- Lobster Chowder with Lemon Crème Fraiche, Apple Smoked Bacon, or
- Oxtail Fritter Salad with Arugula, Sour Cream Panna Cotta, Chinese Mustard
- Roasted Organic Turkey with Portuguese Sausage Stuffing, Green Beans, Cranberries, Mashed Potato
- Pumpkin Chiffon Tart, or
- Red Velvet Cake with Frangelico Meringue
A la carte menu available. Menu subject to change due to availability of product.
4:30 p.m., three-course prix fixe dinner, $35
The meal begins with a choice of Albondigas de Poblano featuring house ground sirloin meatballs, roasted poblano chiles, rich beef and ancho chile broth, or Ensalada de Camarone with crisp romaine lettuce, ginger-citrus vinaigrette, pickled mango and toasted sesame seeds. Entrée choices include Spiced Rubbed Roasted Turkey featuring chipotle-chorizo cornbread dressing and tequila gravy, truffled green bean casserole, and cranberry-orange relish or Herb Roasted Prime Rib with au jus, jalapeño and roasted garlic potato puree, and spice glazed honey carrots. For a sweet ending, guests will choose between the Homemade Honey-Pumpkin Pie with vanilla bean ice cream and warm rum sauce or Dulce Tamal with raisins, cinnamon, salt pond gelato, and warm pineapple sauce.
Offering guests inventive fare with unexpected flavors utilizing all-natural meats, organic and locally grown produce, Tortilla Republic sets the bar for fresh, bold flavors. The restaurant features modern Mexican cuisine in a contemporary chic setting with spectacular sunset views from spacious al fresco lanais. The menu includes updated Mexican classics made with fresh, flavorful ingredients, with an island twist.
Merriman’s Fish House
Four course prix fixe, $68
First Course – Choice of
- Fresh Island Ahi Duo ~ Ahi Poke – Kahuku Sea Asparagus, Avocado, Inamona, Ogo Sashimi – Tamari Nori Puree, Pohole Fern Salad, Black Forbidden Rice
- House Cured Kaneshiro Pork, House Made Kim Chee, Mango Sweet Chili Sauce, Hirabara Farms Red Leaf Butter Lettuce
- Black Pepper – Parmesan Gnocchi, Smoked Tomato Coulis, Hamakua Mushroom, Hirabara Farms Fennel
- Marinated Kauai Prawns ‘a la plancha’, Tamale Bread, Kilauea Green Tomato Salsa Fresca, Charred Tomato – Jalapeno Vinaigrette
Second Course – Choice of
- Keahole Lobster – Pumpkin Bisque, Lawai Valley Pioppini Mushrooms, Pumpkin Seed
- Kailani Farm Arugula Salad, Toasted Wheat Berry, Tamimi Farms Cherry Tomato, Baby Cucumber, Fresh Herb, Kunana Dairy Feta, Grilled Lemon – Tahini Vinaigrette
Main Course – Choice of
- “The Harvest Plate” Roasted Fresh, Organic Turkey, Whipped Potatoes, Sausage-Sage Stuffing, Kilauea Baby Carrots, Green Beans, Pineapple-Cranberry Relish, Natural Gravy
- Whole Roasted Prime Tenderloin of Beef, Yukon Gold Potato, Smoked Onion Puree, Hirabara Farms Spinach, Tamimi Farm Tomato Jam, Whole Grain Mustard Demi Glace
- Pan Seared Diver Sea Scallops, Green Chili Grits, Big Island Sweet Corn Succotash, House Cured Bacon Butter Sauce
- Sauteed “Day Boat” Mahi Mahi Ponzu, Kim Chee Cucumber, Kahuku Sea Asparagus, Toasted Broccoli Rice Cakes, Local Beet Ponzu
- Keahole Lobster and Fresh Shellfish Paella, Keahole Lobster, Diver Sea Scallop, Kauai Shrimp, Manila Clams, Toasted Saffron Fregola, Soffrito, Charred Meyer Lemon ($20 supplement)
Choice of Dessert
- Hawaiian Dark Chocolate Nanaimo Bar, Madascar Vanilla Custard, Macadamia Nut Graham Cracker Crust
- Sticky Toffee Bread Pudding, Dark Rum Anglaise, Caramelized Gold Pineapple
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie, Cinnamon Whipped Cream
Traditional turkey three course dinner, Noon -8:30 p.m., $42, children 10 and under $19, 808-245-9593
Choice of soup or salad:
- Butternut squash soup (a la carte $9) Kailani Farms field greens salad (a la carte $14)
- Roasted cashews, Kalaheo cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, orange supreme, mango truffle vinaigrette
- Oven roasted herbed turkey breast with rare indigenous Hawaiian fruit infused confit of dark meat, garlic mashed potatoes, sautéed asparagus, Hawaiian taro and sweet bread stuffing, country gravy, spiced orange house made cranberry sauce
- Pumpkin chai cheesecake with cinnamon whipped cream (a la carte $10)
a la carte:
- Classic caesar ~ hearts of romaine, herbed croutons, shredded parmesan, $13
- Grilled filet mignon with roasted fingerling potatoes, braised greens, Point Reyes blue cheese, port wine caramelized onions, $36
- Roasted garlic & black truffle crusted fresh catch, garlic mashed potatoes, sautéed haricot vert, sun dried tomato beurre blanc, $34
- Duet of risotto cakes ~ porcini mushroom and sun dried tomato risotto, steamed asparagus, roasted corn relish, and tomato confetti, balsamic vinaigrette, $28
- Coconut banana cream pie with vanilla whipped cream, rum caramel sauce, candied walnuts, $9
The Green Pig
Turk-A-Holic, $12, open Thanksgiving week except Thanksgiving day
Breaded turkey breast loin, smoked turkey stuffing, Jacon (Jake’s house-cured, house-smoked bacon), lettuce, tomato, onion, Jake’s smoked turkey gravy, and a cranberry shallot mayo on a taro brioche bun. A Green Pig’s Thanksgiving feast is in one sandwich but they will have traditional Thanksgiving sides such as green bean casserole and mashed potatoes.
Small Town Coffee
Small Town Coffee sells Fair Trade and Organic coffee by the pound. “It’s always super fresh (which means a week or less from roast date) and of award winning quality,” says owner Anni Caporuscio. “I recommend picking up a half pound of coffee to have enough for the pie-eating portion of your feast. For Hawaii coffee, we have Kauai Highlands, which is a blend containing Kau coffee, a newer growing region on the Big Island. But there’s also my personal favorite, Barefoot Coffee’s Ethiopian Yrgacheffe. Everything is roasted pretty mildly because it’s so so tasty. Small Town will be open until noon on Thanksgiving for breakfast and also because we like to dress up like Indians and turkeys.”
Hula Baby Biscotti and Ko Bakery
From special cakes and biscotti to holiday gift boxes, Hula Baby and Ko Bakery have so many ways to give your holidays the perfect island flavor. Those of you lucky enough to have tried Ko Bakery’s cakes by the slice at the KCC market know that they are doing some remarkable things with pumpkin. Ko’s constructed a Pumpkin Crunch Cake with three layers of delicious pumpkin spice pound cake sandwiched between Kauai vanilla infused cream cheese frosting and topped with Ko’s handmade candied pecans. Pumpkin heaven!
If it’s something more tropical you have in mind for your holiday table, Ko puts the lime in the coconut with its Coconut Lime Cake. Three layers of coconut butter cake topped with their light buttercream infused with local limes. If lilikoi is your passion, then the Lilikoi Dream Cake with lilikoi cake and lilikoi buttercream, is a slice of lilikoi heaven. To get a Ko cake for your holiday table just give them a call at 800-605-0668 or email to [email protected], to reserve yours today.
Hula Baby has also gotten into the spirit by introducing a new holiday biscotti flavor. Hula Baby’s Pumpkin Spice Biscotti is made with real pumpkin, pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds), cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. This delicious combination of pumpkin and spice is an island twist on a classic holiday flavor. Also for the holidays, Hula Baby has brought back a perennial favorite, Island Butter Mint Biscotti. Made with fresh Kauai mint, this buttery biscotti is the perfect companion to your holiday morning coffee or tea. Hula Baby Pumpkin Spice and Island Butter Mint biscotti are only available from September to January, so now is the time to stock up for gifts and for yourself. You can grab these and the other twelve flavors of Hula Baby Biscotti at the Kukuiula and KCC farmers markets, at a number of local retailers, and in the online store at papaluaisland.com.
Whether you are sending gifts off island or on, Hula Baby and Ko Bakery have beautiful gift boxes you can send anywhere in the US for free! Put together combinations of your favorite Hula Baby biscotti, granolas, and Ko Crisp cookies, and send them to your ohana here on Kauai, on a neighbor island, or anywhere on the mainland. These boxes come in two sizes, large and medium, and in two styles, lauhala and classic black, both dressed with a stylish bow. You can order and ship them directly from the online shop at papaluaisland.com, call 800-605-0668 or email [email protected] and they will put your gift together for you. Holiday shopping pau, all courtesy of Hula Baby and Ko Bakery.
Oasis on the Beach
4 to 9 p.m., $55 per person, $25 additional wine pairing
- Butternut squash soup, allspice crema
- Arugula salad, orange sherry vinaigrette, cranberry gelize, candied macnuts
- Pernod clams, shaved fennel, white wine, prosciutto, toast points
- Les Hospices Sauv. Blanc or Triennes Rose
- Deep fried turkey breast, apple sage stuffing, crispy shallot green bean casserole, cranberry relish
- Prosciutto wrapped beef tenderloin, sweet potato mash, whiskey cinnamon demi, brussel sprouts
- Grilled catch, kale barley risotto, picatta buerre blanc
- Bishops Peak Chardonnay or Buena Vista Proprietary Red
- Pumpkin panna cotta, graham cracker sprinkle, whipped cream
- Fresh fruit parfait, Kunana dairy chevre, and local honey drizzle
- Kopke White Port or Kopke Tawny Port
Oasis supports the local community by featuring local products provided by Kailani Farms, Growing Strong Organics, Kaneshiro Farm, Wootens Produce of Kauai, Papalani Gelato, Aakukui Ranch, fish by Kevin Yamase and Uncle Frank. A 20% gratuity will be added to groups of 6 or more. Chef de Cuisine: Sean Smull.
Salty Wahine Gourmet Hawaiian Sea Salts
For those of you making your own feast, Laura Cristobal, owner of Salty Wahine, has shared her favorite Thanksgiving recipes with us!
Two 4oz bags of Salty Wahine Gourmet, Hawaiian Sea Salts “Hawaiian Turkey Brine Seasoning” Note: Use one 4oz bag “Hawaiian Turkey Brine Seasoning” for every 10 to 16 pounds of turkey. , One 10-16 lb. Thawed turkey, 2 gallons water. Large stockpot or brining bag, or bucket. 1 stick butter. Salty Wahine Gourmet Hawaiian Sea Salts “Hawaiian Rub” or your favorite seasoning.
Bring one gallon of water to a boil, and then add the Turkey Brine Seasoning. Take off the heat and let cool to room temperature. Add one gallon cool water. Stir well. Rinse your thawed or fresh turkey well under cool water in your sink. Remove the giblets and packages from inside the turkey. Place the turkey in the large stockpot or brining bag or bucket. Pour the cooled brine solution in with the turkey. Be sure to fill around the outside and inside of the bird. Cover (or close the bag well) and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. (You can also use a cooler but be sure to put turkey in airtight bag before adding ice because you don’t want to dilute the brine solution.) After turkey has been soaking for 24 hours, remove the turkey from the brine and rinse the bird very well. Throw away the herbs when you pour out the brine. Cut stick of butter in about 8 pieces. Lift skin of turkey up and stick pieces of butter between skin and meat of turkey. Also put some butter on inside of turkey.
Take a palm full of “Hawaiian Rub” or your favorite seasoning and rub inside cavity of Turkey. Take another palm full of “Hawaiian Rub” and rub all over outside of Turkey. Place turkey in “Reynolds” turkey roasting bag and follow the directions that come with the roasting bag.
1 Molokai or Okinawan Potato (purple), 1 red potato, 1 Yukon gold potato, 1 russet potato. Or what ever combo of potatoes you like best. Butter, Hawaiian sea salt, black pepper, milk.
Peel and chop potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Put potatoes in a stock pot and cover with water. Add a Tsp of sea salt to water and bring to a boil. Boil gently for approx 15 minutes till potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and drain water. Mash potatoes with a electric mixer, add a 1/2 stick of butter to potatoes and Hawaiian Salt and black pepper to taste. Add milk a little at a time while still mixing till you get the consistency that you like.
Lilikoi Cranberry Sauce
1 – 12 oz. bag cranberries, ½ cup Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup or Lilikoi Syrup recipe below. ½ cup Salty Wahine “Lilikoi Cane Sugar” or you may use brown sugar.
Clean, sort, and discard damaged berries. Boil cranberries in Aunty Lilikoi Passion Fruit Syrup and sugar until they pop. Remove from heat and let stand until cool. Refrigerate. Serve chilled. Serves 6.
1 cup Salty Wahine “Lilikoi Cane Sugar” or you may use white sugar,1 cup water.
In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool. Add juice from 3 to 5 Lilikoi (passion fruit) to taste. Or, you may use Aunty Lilikoi products “Passion Fruit Syrup” www.auntylilikoi.com if you can’t find fresh passion fruits.