Flavors of Kukuiula
Wednesday, February 6
The Shops at Kukuiula, 4 to 7 p.m., free
The Kauai Culinary Market is a partnership between the Kauai County Farm Bureau and The Shops at Kukuiula. On Wednesday, Feb. 6, they are putting on a special event called Flavors of Kukuiula during the Kauai Culinary Market. At 5 p.m., Laura Cristobal, owner of Salty Wahine Gourmet Hawaiian Sea Salts,will do a cooking demonstration using her Mango Java rub on Kauai-raised, grass-fed beef from the Andrade Cattle Co. Grass-fed beef is lower in fat and requires a different cooking technique. If you’ve been wondering how to cook up a juicy, flavorful steak, stop by and learn how then sample afterwards.
If you like it, and I know you will, you can buy gourmet cuts straight from The Rancher’s Daughter. Sharleen Andrade-Balmores will be there to sell her father’s filet mignon, rib eye steak, top sirloin, tri-tip, N.Y strip, London broil and steer burger. Steer burger is ground from prized steers, and not like hamburger which is usually ground meat scraps. Ask Sharleen how they raise their meat, she’s passionate about it and the paniolo tradition.
- Dude Dogs will be featuring their variety of hot dogs garnished with their popular pineapple salsa and other custom toppings
- When Living Foods joins the party, they REALLY join the party. Owner Jim Moffat is bringing out the barbecue grill and making steak tacos! Of course, the Living Foods bread and pastries cart will be selling fresh-baked goodies so come early as they tend to sell out quickly! Follow the yummy scents of grilled steaks and fresh bread and you’ll land in Living Foods heaven.
- Going all out as usual, Tortilla Republic will be featuring their signature chicken enchiladas and addicting house-made chips and salsa!
- Always keeping it local and fresh, Merriman’s will be highlighting local farmers by featuring a delicious tomato and papaya salad. Stacie Chiba of The Shops at Kukuiula is asking (read: begging) executive chef Mark Arriola to give her the recipe to distribute. Keep your fingers crossed!
- New kid on the block, Dolphin Sushi, will be featuring a variety of their famous sushi rolls, including snow crab, soft shell crab and of course, local ahi. On a side note, did you know they only use FRESH wasabi? #truestory
- Lappert’s is partnering with Kauai Robotics on a fundraiser featuring Lappert’s roasted coffee.
“With bated-breath, dare I announce that after months of fine tweaking, Uncle’s Shave Ice is finally releasing Uncle’s Shaved Snow!!!” says Chiba. “Influenced by traditional Taiwanese shave ice, Uncle, as always, took his own spin and the results are not to be missed.”
Some food will be for sale, others will be for sampling and as with every week, Merriman’s Beer and Wine Garden will be featured in the Palm Court area (between Merriman’s and Dolphin Sushi).
“Last, but definitely not least, rumor has it that Josselin’s may be making a cocktail appearance with their infamous (and addicting, trust me, I know) Sangria Bar,” says Chiba. “Ohh, let’s hope this isn’t just a rumor. I’ll confirm once I get the official word, but if it’s happening, it’ll be right below their restaurant at the base of their stairs.”
Finally, our weekly farmers and vendors from the Kauai Farm Bureau will be scattered throughout the village selling their fresh produce and value-added goodies. John Rivera and Pali will be playing music from 4 to 5 p.m. and Greenstone Project, a local Kauai fan favorite band, will keep the party going until 7 p.m.
“I’m so excited for this event and I hope to see everyone there!” says Chiba.